UK Government Scheme: Places of worship security fund 25th July 2016 – Posted in: News – Tags: government-security-fund, places-of-worship-security-fund, security-fund
NOTE: The Places of worship security fund will only be open for applications for 8 weeks starting from 26th July 2016. There will be another chance to apply in 2017.
Due to the recent rise in xenophobic attacks on places of worship across the UK, the government has decided to offer a fund to help with the cost of additional security at these places. In total the government has set aside £2.4million and each organisation must apply by the 5th of September 2016 to find out if they qualify for this fund.
What can we use the funds for?
With this fund, places of worship may use it to add additional or new security features such as CCTV camera systems, intruder alarms, perimeter fencing, security access controlled entry systems, additional door and window locks, bollards, extra lighting and security doors. The fund cannot be used to hire for security guards and the goverment will not be able to contribute towards any subscription based charges you may sign up to, i.e monitored CCTV or intruder alarms which are connected to a call centre.
Will the place of worship need to contribute towards the cost?
Yes, the place of worship will need to contribute 20% of the cost and the government will supply funds to cover the remaining 80%.
When will the funds be released?
Once approved, your organisation will need to carry out and pay for the work completed and then send the invoice to Home Office and they will reimburse 80% of the invoice within 30 days. The overall decision for who qualifies will be m?ade by 9th November 2016.
Will there be another opportunity to apply?
The UK government has said they will offer another chance to apply for the Places of worship security fund sometime in 2017, so please keep an eye on the .gov website or get in touch with us and we’ll keep you updated.
Read more about the Places of worship security fund on the .gov website.